Saturday, October 15, 2016

LAD#9


Image result for thomas jefferson
Thomas Jefferson First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1801




Thank you for electing me President.  The job is above my talents.  I hope the other folks in government will help me to steer the country in the right direction.




The election was rough, but I won per the rules of the Constitution.  The will of the majority rules, but the minority also possess their rights.  We need to unite as one ... we need political tolerance as well as religious tolerance.  We are all Republicans, we are all Federalists.  Our government is strong. Let us pursue our own Federal and Republican principles, our attachment to union and representative government.  Our rights are due to our actions, not our birth.




I believe in a frugal government that prevents men from injuring each other, but leaves them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits, and will not take from them the bread they have earned.  




I believe in equal justice to all, peace, commerce and friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with no nation, support of State governments and their rights, the right of election by the people, acquiescence to the majority, a well disciplined militia, the supremacy of civil over military authority, honest payment of our debts, encouragement of agriculture and commerce, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, protection of the individual under habeas corpus, and trial by impartial jury.  




I will often make mistakes.  When right, I will be thought wrong by others.  I ask for indulgence for my errors.  May God lead our councils to what is best.
Image result for al gore vs bush election

No comments:

Post a Comment